Monday, May 22, 2006

It's the Same, but Different

On my lunch break I like to read the New York Times online (but not the editorials because of the stupid Times Select non-sense) and USA Today. While reading these two newspapers I found two interesting articles.

On nytimes.com there was a headline, “FTC Finds No Gas Price Gouging After Katrina.”

USAToday.com had the opposite headline, “Post-Katrina gas gouging discovered: FTC finds 15 cases.”

Both articles were by the AP and the leads were identical: “The Federal Trade Commission on Monday said it found 15 examples of gasoline price gouging after Hurricane Katrina, though the agency said it has not identified any widespread effort by the oil industry to illegally manipulate the marketplace.”

Why is there a discrepancy between the two headlines? If I was just skimming through these I would be confused. Can someone with some journalism background explain how two different papers can have the same AP article, but give each a different headline that is the opposite of the other? Seems nutsy to me.

Anyhoo, apparently the oil industries did not manipulate the marketplace. That’s nice of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home